Thursday, January 28, 2010

Singapore!

So now I'm only a couple weeks behind. Craig & I are in Vietnam right now and its been a blast, but just before we flew here we spent a week in Singapore hanging out with a couple we met through Athletes In Action in Thailand. They (Reon & Rosemary) invited us to come down, told us we couldn't come to southeast Asia without visiting Singapore. And we're definitely glad we did. Extremely different from the rest of Asia it was great having tour guides to take us to experience all the local culture, food and living conditions.

The Night Safari was amazing and has won tourist acclaims around the world - its attached to the Singapore Zoo but you go at night to see all the creatures that really come alive at night! It started with a live animal show where they had a wolf run up onto this huge rock and howl at the moon! Very cool!
There's also some sweet trails all along the beach to go biking and rollerblading so we hit those up one afternoon and crashed a sandcastle making competition - craig and I have made a few sandcastles but nothing like that!

Reon and Rosemary also took us to all the best lookouts of the city at night and during the day! Tons of greenspace and a very cool and well-laid out city!
We also finally got a chance to cook! Most people who know us know Craig & I both love cooking so we baked a lasagne! That's as close to a real "Canadian" meal we could think of and man was it ever good!!! (Especially after tasting pig intestines earlier in the week!)

We also fit in some recreation! Reon took Craig and I to play some basketball outside with the locals one afternoon but the heat and humidity almost made Craig & I both pass out. We called all the time outs - nothing to do with strategy and everything to do with shade and water! We've also added Tchoukball to our sporting skills! Its all the rage in Singapore and their country is ranked 3rd in the world! Reon coaches it so we participated in one of their 3 hour practices! Craig and I's arms almost fell off by the end of the night from trying to throw the ball so hard and far! If you get a chance you should look up this sport on the internet!

3 other random thoughts...
1. We learned a new chinese tile game similiar to our tile rummy that kept us up til ridiculous hours of the night. I don't think we went to bed before midnight the whole time we were in Singapore!
2. Our little rendez-vous on that last island in Thailand left my legs a bitten mess! I almost went insane with scratching something like 35 bites on one leg! But thankfully Reon andRosemary shared some Chinese medicine with me and it helped a lot!
3. Speaking of Chinese medicine, Craig & I both got some acupuncture done! I'm not sure how much it helped but it was very interesting to speak with this old Chinese man who's also made us think twice about drinking cold liquids... you'll have to ask Craig about the science behind it..

So there you have it! That brings us to our flight to Vietnam on Jan 15th! We've been here in Vietnam for almost 2 weeks and will be heading to Cambodia in just a few days. I'll catch you up on the last leg of the journey from there. Hard to believe we're almost done our 6 months of galavanting. We fly back to Canada March 7th I think!! The trip has been amazing in so many different ways, but Craig & I are also looking forward to the new adventures Canada has for us!

Hope all is well with you. Send an email to us anytime. Would love to hear from you and what's going on in your world! craig.suz09@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey Suz and Craig! Looks like our adventures will be ending right around the same time...I head back to Canada March 9, to Toronto at least, not sure when I will be back in Alberta. I am leaving in two days to go check out India for three weeks, I am pretty pumped (and a little nervous)! Take care, God bless!

    David

    ReplyDelete